This is one of our favorite side dishes to have with dinner. A fresh and flavorful way to kick your plain rice up a notch and add some color to the dinner table. I love to have it the next day for lunch. If you’re trying to get your children to love veggies, try it this way. Mine love it 🙂
What I like about this recipe is you can switch up the ingredients based on what you have handy. My general rule of thumb is two cups veggies, one cup rice, and two cups water.
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 sprig scallion, chopped
- 1 head broccoli, chopped finely
- salt and pepper
- 2 Tbs butter or olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water or chicken stock
- Heat olive oil or butter in your skillet. Add all veggies. Salt and pepper.
- Saute veggies on high heat for three minutes.
- Add your rice and water or chicken stock and cook as package recommends. *White rice typically takes 20 minutes, covered, on low heat; Brown rice takes a lot longer but has greater nutritional value.