Tonight I made a house favorite. Sweet and savory meatballs with rice and mixed veggies. I warn you – you will need to double this recipe as your family will be wanting for more!
While the meatballs are the star of this show, the veggies were very fresh, crunchy, and flavorful. I sautéed sweet peppers, mushrooms, and grape tomatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper, fresh garlic, and italian herbs at high heat for three minutes or so.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/4 cup Panko
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 small onion, diced finely
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tsp oregano
- 3 fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup olive oil (for browning)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- Simmer all of the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Set aside.
- Add all of the meatball ingredients to a large bowl and hand mix until combined.
- Roll to form 10 balls.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan on medium-high heat. Add the meatballs to the pan. Turn to brown all sides of the meatballs every few minutes.
- Remove the meatballs from the pan and set them aside. Discard the leftover oil from the pan. Return the meatballs to the pan.
- Pour the sauce over the meatballs. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, turning the meatballs every five minutes. Pour the sauce over the meatballs when serving for a sweet and savory glaze.